About the Internet Directory for Botany
- The Internet Directory of Botany is an index to botanical information
available on the Internet, compiled by Anthony R. Brach
(Harvard University Herbarium,
Cambridge / Missouri Botanical Garden,
St. Louis, USA, www page),
(Botanical Museum, Finnish Museum of Natural History,
University of Helsinki, Finland; www page),
(SHL Systemhouse, Edmonton, Canada; www page)
and Keith McCree (Oakridge, Oregon;
It consists of two parts, an alphabetical directory and a categorical
- The alphabetical list (formerly List of WWW Sites
of Interest to Botanists) was compiled by Anthony R. Brach.
It was originally posted on TAXACOM in March 1995. HTML format
is created and maintained by Shunguo Liu. The subject category
list (formerly A Collection of Botany Related URLs),
is maintained by Raino Lampinen since Autumn 1993. It
started as a personal bookmark list of botanical gopher sites,
since March 1994 also www sites, and was made available via WWW
in December 1994.
Additions and Corrections
- The pages are regularly updated. Please use our
WWW Form to
submit your comments, corrections, updates, and additions to the lists.
New approved entries will be added to both lists. Home pages of arboreta,
botanical gardens, herbaria, botanical societies and botanical research
institutes are most welcome, as well as the suggestions of links to their
most important resources. Personal home pages of botanists are only
exceptionally added to our lists. These pages are not for advertising
commercial sites. We are sorry that we cannot answer specific questions
beyond the scope of the information provided here.
Other Recommended Directories
- We also recommend visiting the
WWW Sites of Interest to Ecologists, compiled and maintained by Anthony R.
Brach (or its mirrors in
France maintained by Jean Thioulouse in the University of Lyon, France and
Canada in Edmonton), and
Geographical Directory of Biological Institutions.
Mirroring and Citing The Internet Directory for Botany
- There are several official mirror
sites of the Internet Directory for Botany.
- Mirroring the Internet Directory for Botany or its parts may
be possible, especially in countries far away from the
present mirror sites (or with slow Internet connctions) - after an
agreement with the IDB editors, provided that 1) it is made
clear that your pages are mirror versions, 2) the contents of the
pages are otherwise not changed, and 3) mirror pages are regularly
updated (at least within two months of the updates at the original
sites). The pages of origin can be cited as follows:
- Lampinen, R., S. Liu, A. R. Brach & K. McCree (1996-). The Internet Directory for Botany.
- Brach, A. R. & S. Liu. (1996-). The Internet Directory for Botany: Alphabetical List.
- Lampinen, R. (1996-). The Internet Directory for Botany: Subject Category List.
- The official mirror sites are listed separately on the front pages
of the alphabetical list and the subject category list.
Back to: Internet Directory for Botany Home Page