About the GenomeWeb
The GenomeWeb is the authoritative collection of the best genome
related sites on the Web. It is:
- Up to date
- New links are constantly added, and old ones reviewed.
- Unlike the major search engines, we check each link to ensure it
- Fully searchable
- Using state of the art Excite searching technology.
- Fully verified
- All the sites listed in the GenomeWeb are checked daily.
- We search out those hard to find specialist sites.
The GenomeWeb is based on a database that contains all the URLs and
site descriptions. This is used to create the categorized resource
listings. Every day, all the URLs are extracted and are retrieved
through our proxy cache server, so that we have the documents cached
locally and anyone using our proxy server will get much faster access
to the documents. This process also verifies that the URL is valid and
that the document hasn't disappeared or moved. The documents are saved
to disk and indexed using excite so that they can be searched.
Strangely, not everybody takes the trouble to verify the links in their
pages. We even got an award for being so successful at keeping our
links up to date.